Wandaful Quilts

Visit my blog shop https://wandafulquilts.blogspot.com for items for sale: wall art, mini art, quilt tops, fabric groupings. It is an ever changing group of items.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

#20 sewn...........

I sewed #20 block and then tried to do a layout with the last triangles that were previously sewn.

There are 2 ways I can do this.  Now I have to piece 8 more squares of 2 triangles to finish this block.  Nothing is planned so far in the first 20 blocks.  I just sewed random sets of 2 triangles together (always with contrasting values), some batches of 8 alike, some of 4 alike, and lots of miscellaneous pairing.  Then I would just play with them to create blocks.  If I planned each block and then looked for fabrics to make them I would be bored with the project really quickly.  I like spontaneous surprises.  I don't plan colors ahead of time.  I choose groups that I think I will like from the supply of sewn squares and start the layout.  If it isn't working I try another color.

The bunny came to clean up under the bird feeder yesterday morning. He/she was there for quite awhile and then hopped on to eat some weeds.  Luckily the bunnies don't eat any of my perennials.

Friday, April 28, 2017

5 blocks designed.........

I started designing star blocks in the morning yesterday.  This photo is daylight from west windows on a cloudy day.

This one was designed after lunch, also a daylight photo.

I sewed the 2 blocks pictured above and then designed the third one last night.

I was on a roll so I designed number 4 and then sewed 3 and 4.

While watching the weather segment last night I designed number 5 but haven't sewn it yet.

Here are the 19 blocks that are sewn.  I didn't notice the tilt of the photo until I got to the computer and by then I had turned off all of the lights in the basement and was too tired to start over.  Now that I am nearing 20 blocks I wonder if I could stick with it and make 10 more for a 5 x 6 layout or maybe even another 15 for a 5 x 7 layout.  The blocks are 12" finished size.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Basting and more triangle squares.........

Last night I sewed enough triangle squares to make 5 blocks.  Each pile is either 8 alike or 4 alike.  If I don't like some of the combinations when I lay out the blocks I can always make a few more that will work.

I didn't have much ambition yesterday with the barometric pressure change.  We didn't get much rain during the day.  It sounds like the big rain is coming on Saturday and Sunday.
I also started hand basting the redwork baby quilt I pieced in February.  I will ditch quilt between rows of blocks in both directions and also the diagonals along the triangles.  Then I will decide the rest of the quilting.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

More stars..........

I didn't think I was going to make any star blocks yesterday.  It was a beautiful warm day and I had errands to run plus some outside garden work to do.

Last night however I decided to lay out a couple more blocks.

I think I have enough pieces cut for 4 more blocks but I need 5 so I will be doing more cutting on my Studio die cutter.

I sewed the 2 blocks pictured above and added them to the other 13 blocks on the design wall.

Some friends shared some of their compost pile with me so I prepared my raised bed in which I plant my tomatoes.  It is still too early to plant them but the soil is ready.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Dark triangles........

My two friends came over yesterday to sew and I spent the day cutting with my die cutter.  I concentrated on cutting dark triangles since I had only light ones left.  After sewing last night now I have piles of dark triangles left over so I'll have to cut more light ones.  I need to count how many I still need for 7 more blocks.

For everyone asking (and most of you were NO REPLY so I can't email you) I am using 2" finished units for 12" finished blocks.  If I used 1.5" finished my blocks would be 9", 2.5" finished my blocks would be 15" and if I used 3" finished my blocks would be 18".  You can make these blocks any size you want that is divisible by 6 since it is a 36 patch block. 

Here is one more photo of part of my pink back yard.  We are supposed to get rain several times from Wed. night through Sunday so it will probably knock the petals off.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Star blocks........

I designed three more blocks yesterday.  I'm out of triangle squares again so I will be cutting more triangles soon.

 I wanted to get some red into this quilt.

I love the wild fabric in the plain squares.

Here they are sewn and mixed in with the other previously sewn blocks.  At this point I'm thinking about 20 blocks.  The quilt has to be rectangular.  Square quilts are too short and too wide to cover a body on the couch.  Rectangular quilts cover a body better.

Almost all of the triangles left in the box are light so I will be looking for dark and medium batik scraps to cut.

I mowed the grass again yesterday, the second time this spring.  The front yard really needed it.  My backyard is mostly shade grass that doesn't grow as fast.  I mowed about 2/3 of the backyard.  The rest hasn't grown that much.  Next time I'll have to do the whole yard.

I really enjoyed all of the stories about scraps in the comments yesterday.  Unfortunately the Google+ commenters are almost always NO REPLY so I couldn't respond to them.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Creating scraps...........

The reason most of us will never run out of scraps is because we are creating them all the time.  I know people who can throw away pieces this size but not me.

This is my throw away pile and it will go into the bags of stuffing for dog beds.  The strips in this pile are narrower than 3/4". 

I laid out one more star but haven't sewn it yet.